TYLER, Texas—Four runs in the seventh helped Texas Lutheran upset No. 8 Birmingham-Southern, Saturday afternoon on Irwin Field in Tyler, Texas, in the Clements Fluids Classic, hosted by UT Tyler.
The Panthers fell to 1-1, while the Bulldogs moved to 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored its first run in the bottom of the third inning after senior Taylor McCracken and junior Jack Rhodes led off with singles, and then advanced to second and third on a wild pitch. A ground-out RBI from senior Matt Brown allowed McCracken to score.
- TLU tied it up in the top of the fifth on an RBI single with the bases loaded.
- The Panthers took back the lead in the bottom of the sixth after freshmen Rich Misischia and Tyler Hamel singled back-to-back with one out on the board, and freshman Preston White singled through the left side to plate Misischia.
- After another out in the sixth, BSC pulled ahead 3-1 on a McCracken RBI single to allow Hamel to score.
- The lead was short-lived as the Bulldogs exploded for four runs in the top of the seventh, two off RBI singles and two off a BSC error.
- The Panthers got a runner to second in the bottom of the eighth, but were unable to score and the Bulldogs won 5-3.
- BSC recorded 10 hits, led by McCracken (3-5) and White (2-3).
- Junior Stephen Himic started on the mound and threw five innings, but junior reliever Easton Fuller came in for the following 1.2 innings and took the loss. Sophomore Ross James and senior Wilson Jamison also saw action.
- BSC will take on Centenary on Sunday at noon CT.