BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 8 Birmingham-Southern baseball team traveled to Atlanta this weekend for a three-game conference series against Oglethorpe, and split today with the Stormy Petrels, winning game one 5-0 before falling 5-1 in game two.
The Panthers moved to 7-2 overall and 1-1 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Petrels moved to 5-1 overall and are also 1-1 in the SAA.
- BSC got off to a quick start with two runs in the first thanks to RBI singles from junior Sam Roberts and freshman Tyler Hamel.
- OU nearly scored in the third but Spencer Transue was thrown out at home after a double down the right field line by Jarvis Miller.
- The Panthers extended the lead to 3-0 in the top of the fourth on an RBI ground-out by senior Nathan Qualls.
- Another Roberts RBI single in the top of the eighth put BSC up 4-0, and Roberts would later score on an RBI single by freshman A.J. Hunt to bring the score to 5-0.
- Junior Ryan Gaines moved to 3-0 after throwing eight innings of shutout ball and striking out 10 OU batters.
- Roberts, Hamel, and Hunt were all 2-4 at the plate, and Roberts led with two RBI.
- BSC scored its only run of the game in the top of the second, a sac-fly by freshman Preston White.
- Oglethorpe added three runs in the bottom of the second, and the Panthers got a runner to third in the top of the fifth but were unable to capitalize.
- The Petrels scored the final two runs of the game in the bottom of the fifth on a BSC error.
- Junior Stephen Himic fell to 1-1 after throwing the complete game, allowing four hits in six innings of work with four strikeouts.
- Five different Panthers recorded single hits, with White posting the lone RBI of the game for BSC.
- The series concludes tomorrow with a single game at 1 p.m. EST.