ATLANTA, Ga.—After splitting with Oglethorpe yesterday, the No. 8 Birmingham-Southern baseball team won game three to take the Southern Athletic Association series today, 14-5.
BSC moves to 8-2 overall and 2-1 in the SAA, while OU falls to 5-2 overall and 1-2 in the league.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC led 6-1 after one-and-a-half innings, as the Panthers scored once in the first and then five in the second, including a three-run home run by junior Jack Rhodes.
- The Stormy Petrels added one in the bottom of the second, and then three more in the fourth to cut it to 6-4.
- The Panthers answered in the top of the fifth with three runs off home runs from junior Sam Roberts and senior Nathan Qualls, and then added another in the top of the sixth to pull ahead 10-4.
- OU scored its final run of the game in the eighth, but BSC wasn't finished either, adding four more in the top of the ninth, thanks in part to a two-run homer from freshman A.J. Hunt.
- BSC recorded 14 hits, led by junior Jacob Drescher who was 3-3.
- Rhodes and Roberts led with three RBI apiece.
- Freshman Jake Cook picked up the win to move to 2-0; senior Kyle Royalty, junior Easton Fuller, and freshman Eric Wilson also made appearances.
- The Panthers play at home next weekend, hosting Centre in a three-game series. Saturday's doubleheader begins at 1 p.m., followed by a single game at noon on Sunday.