BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 5 Birmingham-Southern baseball team won two more games today, defeating Centre at home by the scores of 4-0 and 4-3 at Striplin Field.
The Panthers move to 10-2 overall and 4-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Colonels fall to 7-4 overall and 0-2 in the SAA.
- The first game was scoreless until the bottom of the fourth, when junior David Scott singled to bring in two runs for BSC.
- The 2-0 lead stood until the bottom of the seventh when senior Taylor McCracken scored on a Centre error, and senior Matt Brown recorded an RBI, putting the Panthers up 4-0.
- Junior Ryan Gaines started and threw eight shutout innings, giving up only three hits with three strikeouts. Junior Easton Fuller pitched the ninth and struck out two batters.
- McCracken led BSC with two of its seven hits, going 2-4 at the plate, and Scott led with two RBI.
- Centre scored first in game two, going up 1-0 in the top of the second and 2-0 in the top of the third.
- BSC tied it up in the third on a Brown RBI single and then a sac-fly by junior Sam Roberts.
- The Panthers pulled ahead 3-2 in the sixth when Brown scored on an error.
- The Colonels tied it up in the top of the seventh, scoring on a BSC error.
- In the bottom of the seventh of the seven-inning game, sophomore Jacob Drescher scored on a wild pitch to end the game with BSC winning 4-3.
- Junior Stephen Himic (2-1) tossed all seven innings, giving up three hits and two earned runs with six strikeouts.
- Brown led BSC at the plate going 2-3.
- BSC and Centre wrap up the three-game series tomorrow at noon.