BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Led by senior Matt Brown who went 4-of-5 at the plate, the No. 5 Birmingham-Southern baseball team completed a three-game series sweep against Centre on Sunday with a 7-1 victory at Striplin Field.
The Panthers moved to 11-2 overall and 5-1 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Colonels fell to 7-5 overall and 0-3 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After scoring a run in the bottom of the first, BSC pulled ahead 5-0 in the bottom of the fourth thanks to a two-run double from sophomore Brayden Housel, an RBI from senior Taylor McCracken, and a Brown RBI single.
- Centre scored its lone run in the top of the seventh on a ground-out RBI by Alex Richardson.
- The Panthers added the final two runs of the game in the bottom of the seventh when Brown scored on a passed ball and freshman Preston White drew a walk with the bases loaded.
- Brown went 4-5 to lead the Panthers, who racked up 13 total hits.
- Junior David Scott was 2-2 and junior Sam Roberts was 2-4.
- Senior Kyle Royalty (2-0) started on the mound and got the win, throwing six innings and giving up four hits and no runs with four strikeouts.
- The Panthers will host Huntingdon on Tuesday at 6 p.m. and Emory and Henry on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m.