DEMOREST, Ga.—The No. 5 Birmingham-Southern baseball team picked up a win Friday on day one of the Piedmont Spring Classic, defeating Adrian College 6-4 on Loudermilk Field in Demorest, Ga.
The Panthers moved to 14-2 with their seventh straight win, while the Bulldogs fell to 2-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Adrian got on the board in the top of the first with a single run, but the lead did not last long as BSC scored two in the bottom of the first, courtesy of an RBI triple by senior Matt Brown and a ground-out RBI from junior Sam Roberts.
- A sac-fly in the second from senior Taylor McCracken put the Panthers up 3-1, but the Bulldogs responded in kind in the top of the third to cut it to 3-2.
- In the bottom of the fourth freshman Tyler Hamel hit his first home run of the year to put BSC up 4-2, and the Panthers scored twice more in the sixth to pull ahead 6-2.
- Adrian wrapped up scoring in the game with a two-run homer in the eighth.
- Junior David Scott went 4-4 at the plate for BSC, Hamel was 2-3, and Brown was 2-4.
- Junior Ryan Gaines (5-0) got the win after throwing seven innings and giving up 11 hits, four earned runs, and two walks with four strikeouts.
- Sophomore Ross James pitched the final two innings and got the save, his first of the year.
- BSC will face No. 18 Marietta tomorrow at 11 a.m. EST and then host Piedmont at 8 p.m. EST.