DEMOREST, Ga.—The No. 5 Birmingham-Southern baseball team split on Saturday at the Piedmont Spring Classic in Demorest, Ga., defeating No. 18 Marietta, 10-4, in the first game of the day before falling to the host Lions, 7-6, in the last game of the night.
The Panthers fell to 15-3, with the loss breaking an eight-game win streak. Marietta fell to 6-5 while Piedmont moved to 14-5.
BSC VS. MARIETTA
- The Panthers fell behind in the first, with the Pioneers scoring three runs.
- An RBI double from senior Taylor McCracken in the top of the second cut it to 3-1, and an RBI from freshman Tyler Hamel in the fourth cut it to 3-2.
- BSC took over the lead in the fifth on a two-run homer by senior Nathan Qualls, and an RBI single by junior David Scott in the sixth put the Panthers up 5-3.
- Freshman Tyler Wise hit one over the fence in the top of the eighth to put BSC up 6-3, and Marietta responded with a home run in the bottom of the eighth, cutting it to 6-4.
- In the top of the ninth, an RBI single by junior Sam Roberts increased the Panther lead to 7-4, and a three-run Qualls homer then put BSC up 10-4.
- Qualls led the BSC offense with five RBI on 3-5 hitting.
- Junior Stephen Himic (3-1) got the win on the mound, throwing 7.1 innings with seven strikeouts.
- Senior Wilson Jamison came in for the final 1.2 innings and got his first save of the season.
BSC VS. PIEDMONT
- In the final game of the Classic, which did not begin until 8:45 p.m., nearly 10 hours after BSC's first game of the day began, Roberts got things off to a quick start with a three-run homer in the top of the first to put BSC up 3-0.
- Piedmont answered with two in the bottom of the frame, but the Panthers scored three more in the top of the second, courtesy of a sac-fly by sophomore Brayden Housel and two runs scored on a Lions error.
- The Lions cut it to 6-3 in the bottom of the second with a single run, and then 6-5 in the fourth.
- An RBI single in the fifth tied things up 6-6, and a run scored on a BSC error in the bottom of the eighth gave the home team the 7-6 lead.
- BSC was unable to reach base in the top of the ninth, and Piedmont picked up the victory just before midnight Eastern time.
- Roberts led with three RBI, going 3-4 at the plate.
- A bevy of Panther pitchers saw action, with senior starter Kyle Royalty going 3.2 innings with five strikeouts before junior Easton Fuller came in to pitch the next 3.1, striking out three Lions.
- Sophomore Ross James took the loss, falling to 1-1, and senior Wilson Jamison also saw time on the mound during the last inning.
- BSC will host LaGrange on Tuesday, March 15, in a 3 p.m. doubleheader at Striplin Field.