BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 2 Birmingham-Southern baseball team picked up a regional win at home Tuesday evening, defeating LaGrange College 8-1 at Striplin Field.
The BSC Panthers moved to 16-3, while the LaGrange Panthers fell to 13-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored single runs in the bottom of the first and second innings, and LaGrange scored its lone run in the top of the third.
- Runs in the fourth and sixth, both RBIs from sophomore Jacob Drescher, put BSC up 4-1, and another in the seventh stretched the lead to 5-1.
- Three in the eighth pushed it to 8-1.
- After scoring its run in the third, LaGrange did not get a runner on base again until the top of the ninth, when a runner advanced to second after a base hit and a wild pitch.
- Drescher and senior Taylor McCracken each recorded two RBI; McCracken was 2-4 at the plate.
- Senior Nathan Qualls and junior David Scott were both 2-3, and senior Matt Brown was 2-5.
- Freshman Jake Cook started on the mound and threw 2.2 innings, giving up only one hit and one run with two strikeouts.
- Sophomore Ross James (2-1) picked up the win, tossing 3.1 hitless and scoreless innings with three strikeouts.
- Junior Easton Fuller and senior Wilson Jamison also saw action.
- The Panthers resume conference play this weekend, traveling to face Sewanee in a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday and a 1 p.m. single game on Sunday.