BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 3 Birmingham-Southern baseball team rebounded from last night's loss to defeat Millsaps twice today and win the conference series at Striplin Field.
The Panthers won by the scores of 4-2 and 3-1, and move to 20-6 overall and 9-3 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Majors fell to 12-12 overall and 6-6 in the SAA.
- After BSC scored a single run in the first inning on a Millsaps error, the Majors pulled ahead in the third on a two-run single by Isaac Glenn.
- The visitors' lead stood until the bottom of the fifth when an RBI single from senior Matt Brown tied things up.
- BSC scored the go-ahead runs in the seventh when junior David Scott doubled down the left field line, plating two runners to put the Panthers up 4-2.
- The Panthers turned a double play in the top of the eighth, and retired three straight batters in the top of the ninth to preserve the victory.
- Junior Stephen Himic (5-1) was impressive on the mound, throwing the complete game and giving up six runs with eight strikeouts.
- Scott led the Panther offense, going 2-of-4 with two RBI.
- BSC got on the board in the bottom of the second, and Millsaps quickly answered to tie things up in the top of the third.
- An RBI double from freshman catcher A.J. Hunt in the bottom of the third put the Panthers back ahead, 2-1, and a run scored on an error in the bottom of the fourth made it 3-1 in favor of the home team.
- BSC held the Majors scoreless through the rest of the seven-inning game to win the series.
- Senior Kyle Royalty (3-0) pitched the complete game, allowing four hits and no earned runs with eight strikeouts.
- Sophomore Brayden Housel went 2-of-3 at the plate to lead the Panthers.
- BSC is at home again this Tuesday, March 29, taking a break from conference play to face regional rival No. 6 Emory at 6 p.m.