MEMPHIS, Tenn.—The No. 6 Birmingham-Southern baseball team defeated Rhodes twice today on the road, winning 13-4 and 7-1 at Stauffer Field in Memphis, Tenn.
The Panthers moved to 22-7 overall and 11-3 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Lynx fell to 16-15 overall and 6-8 in the SAA.
- The Lynx scored first in game one, putting up one run in the bottom of the second before BSC scored five runs in each of the next two innings to pull ahead 10-1.
- Rhodes cut it to 10-3 after the next two innings, but the Panthers added two more in the top of the seventh to expand the lead to 12-3.
- Each team scored once in the ninth.
- BSC recorded 13 hits, led by senior Taylor McCracken who was 3-of-6 at the plate.
- Junior David Scott was 2-of-6 with a game-high four RBI.
- Junior Sam Roberts was 2-of-3 with three RBI.
- Junior Ryan Gaines (7-1) threw the first six innings, giving up eight hits and three earned runs.
- Sophomore Ross James and freshman Schylar Chapman also saw action on the mound.
- The Panthers got off to a quick start, scoring four runs in the top of the first.
- A sac-fly from senior Matt Brown in the fourth put BSC up 5-0, and a run scored on an error in the sixth increased the lead to 6-0.
- Freshman Tyler Wise hit his second home run of the year in the seventh before Rhodes scored its only run of the game in the bottom of the seventh.
- Junior Stephen Himic (6-1) threw the complete game, giving up six hits with six strikeouts.
- Roberts was 3-of-4 at the plate, and McCracken was 2-of-3.
- The teams will play game three of the series tomorrow at noon.