BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 6 Birmingham-Southern baseball team split a conference doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Striplin Field against Hendrix, winning game one 7-3 before falling 1-0 in game two.
The Panthers moved to 24-9 overall and 13-4 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Warriors moved to 19-14 overall and 12-5 in the SAA.
- Hendrix was the first to score in game one, going up 2-0 in the top of the fourth before a home run from freshman Tyler Wise, his third of the year, cut it to 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Panther offense came alive in the bottom of the fifth, scoring five runs on RBI singles from junior David Scott and senior Matt Brown, a sac-fly by junior Sam Roberts, and a Wise RBI ground-out, putting BSC up 6-2.
- A Scott RBI double in the eighth increased the lead to 7-2 before Hendrix was able to score once more in the top of the ninth to cut it to 7-3 before the game ended.
- Sophomore Brayden Housel went 2-of-4 at the plate, and Scott and Brown were both 2-of-5.
- Scott and Wise led with two RBI apiece.
- Junior starter Ryan Gaines (8-1) threw seven innings and got the win, allowing six hits and two earned runs with three strikeouts.
- Junior Easton Fuller and senior Wilson Jamison came in for the final two innings.
- The nightcap was a pitcher's duel, with the lone run of the game coming in the top of the fifth on a home run by Hendrix's Harley Faye.
- Junior Stephen Himic (6-2) threw the complete game for BSC, allowing four hits with four strikeouts.
- Three Panthers picked up single hits in the game, with BSC recording its lowest hit total of the season.
- The rubber match will take place tomorrow at noon, with BSC's six seniors being honored during a pregame celebration.