BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Led by freshman A.J. Hunt who was 3-of-4 at the plate with five RBI, the No. 6 Birmingham-Southern baseball team defeated Hendrix Sunday afternoon, 8-3, to win the conference series.
The Panthers moved to 25-9 overall and 14-4 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Warriors fell to 19-15 overall and 12-6 in the SAA. BSC leads the league standings, followed by Hendrix and then Berry at 11-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hunt got things started in the bottom of the first inning with a deep single to left-center field with the bases loaded, which scored three runs.
- The Warriors responded in the top of the third, scoring three runs on RBI singles and a BSC error to tie things up 3-3.
- A two-run double from Hunt in the bottom of the third put the Panthers back in the lead, 5-3, and an RBI single by junior Sam Roberts in the fourth increased the lead to 6-3.
- RBI singles by sophomore Brayden Housel and McCracken in the fifth put BSC up 8-3, and the Panthers held the Warriors scoreless the rest of the way.
- Hunt went 3-of-4 at the plate with a game-high five RBI.
- McCracken was 2-of-4 and Roberts was 2-of-5.
- Royalty (5-0) started and got the win, going five innings and giving up five hits and two earned runs with one strikeout.
- Sophomore Ross James, freshman John Michael Shirley, and Jamison finished out the final four innings.
- BSC takes a break from conference play this Tuesday, April 12, traveling to Jackson, Miss., to face Belhaven at 4 p.m.
- The Panthers finish out conference play next weekend with a series against Berry in Rome, Ga.