JACKSON, Miss.—The No. 9 Birmingham-Southern baseball team went on the road Tuesday afternoon and defeated Belhaven University, 8-4, at Smith-Wills Stadium in Jackson, Miss.
The Panthers moved to 26-9, while the Blazers fell to 18-12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Panthers posted three runs in the second inning, with RBI from freshman Tyler Wise, senior Nathan Qualls, and sophomore Brayden Housel.
- A Wise sac-fly in the fourth put BSC up 4-0 before Belhaven cut it to 4-3 in the fourth with a two-RBI triple and a sac bunt.
- The Panthers extended the lead to 6-3 in the fifth courtesy of RBI from junior Sam Roberts and Wise, and the Blazers scored their final run in the bottom of the fifth.
- A two-RBI single by Roberts in the ninth scored the final runs of the game, putting the visitors up 8-4.
- Roberts was 4-of-5 at the plate with three RBI, and Wise also added three RBI; Housel was 2-of-3.
- Sophomore Ross James (3-1) got the win on the mound after coming in in relief and throwing 1.2 innings.
- Freshman John Michael Shirley started and went 3.1 innings, and freshman Jake Cook and senior Wilson Jamison also saw action.
- BSC plays its final conference series this weekend, traveling to Rome, Ga., to face Berry College.
- The teams will play a single game on Friday at 6 p.m. EDT, followed by a doubleheader on Saturday at 1 p.m. EDT.
- With just one win this weekend, the Panthers will again clinch the SAA regular season title; in that situation, BSC would host a portion of the SAA Championship the weekend of April 22-24.