ROME, Ga.—With a 6-3 win this evening in Rome, Ga., the No. 9 Birmingham-Southern baseball team clinched the regular season Southern Athletic Association title as well as the No. 1 seed in next weekend's SAA Championship.
It marks BSC's third straight regular season conference title. The Panthers moved to 27-9 overall and 15-4 in the SAA, while the Vikings fell to 25-12 overall and 11-8 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first three innings, the Panthers recorded four runs in the top of the fourth, scoring on an error, an RBI double by freshman A.J. Hunt, and RBI singles by junior Jacob Drescher and senior Taylor McCracken.
- Berry cut it to 4-2 in the bottom of the fourth, but an RBI single from freshman Tyler Wise put BSC up 5-2 in the seventh.
- An RBI double by senior Matt Brown scored the Panthers' final run in the eighth.
- Berry loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the ninth, prompting a pitching change by BSC, bringing in senior Wilson Jamison.
- After the Vikings walked in a run to cut the lead to 6-3, the Panther defense got two more outs to end the game.
- Junior right-hander Stephen Himic (7-2) got the win on the mound, throwing 8.1 innings and giving up eight hits and three earned runs with six strikeouts.
- Jamison threw the final two-thirds of an inning and got his second save of the year.
- Wise went 3-of-5 at the plate with a game-high two RBI.
- Hunt was 2-of-4, and McCracken, Brown, and Roberts were all 2-of-5; Roberts extends his current hit streak to 11 games.
- BSC and Berry will face off tomorrow in a 1 p.m. EDT doubleheader to finish out the conference series.
- The SAA Championship will begin next Friday, April 22, with games at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- BSC will play in the evening game against the No. 8 seed, either Sewanee or Centre.