BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—An RBI double by junior David Scott in the bottom of the eighth gave the No. 4 Birmingham-Southern baseball team the go-ahead run to edge Belhaven, 10-9, Tuesday evening at Striplin Field.
In the regular season finale for both teams, the Panthers moved to 35-10, while the Blazers end their season at 20-18.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belhaven opened the top of the first by scoring two runs, and the Panthers answered in the bottom half of the inning with a run on a sac-fly by junior Sam Roberts.
- The Blazers pulled ahead 3-1 in the third before BSC pulled ahead, 4-3, with three runs in the bottom of the third.
- Belhaven tied it up in the fourth, but the Panthers kept scoring, adding four in the bottom of the fourth, all RBI singles, to pull up 8-4.
- The Blazers cut the lead to 8-7 in the top of the sixth, but an RBI double from freshman Mason Englet in the bottom of the seventh put the Panthers up by two, 9-7.
- Belhaven came back to tie things up in the eighth when Terrell Hodges hit a towering two-run home run over the left field fence.
- With two outs and a runner on third in the bottom of the eight, Scott doubled down the right field line to plate junior Jacob Drescher for the go-ahead and game-winning run.
- Senior Wilson Jamison retired three straight Belhaven batters, including two strikeouts, in the top of the ninth to clinch the win for BSC.
- Jamison (2-1) went 1.2 innings, giving up one hit and one earned run with three strikeouts.
- Freshmen John Michael Shirley, Jake Cook, Vincent Torres, and Preston White also saw action on the mound.
- The Panthers recorded 17 hits, led by Scott who was 3-of-4 with three RBI.
- BSC hosts the Southern Athletic Association Championship title series this weekend, playing as the top seed against third-seeded Rhodes.
- Game one will be Friday night at 6:30 p.m., followed by a Saturday game at 1 p.m. and then 4:15 p.m. if necessary.