Feb 12, 2016
DEMOREST, Ga.—After out-scoring Piedmont 10-2 in the first half, the Birmingham-Southern men's lacrosse team went on to win 13-6 in its season opener, Friday afternoon at Walker Athletic Complex in Demorest, Ga.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior McHale Schneider opened scoring with two goals in the first five minutes, and BSC led 3-1 at the end of the first quarter.
- The Panthers scored three quick goals to open the second quarter and go up 6-1 before the Lions added their second goal of the game at the 6:45 mark.
- BSC ended the half with four straight goals to lead 10-2 at halftime, and out-scored Piedmont 3-0 in the third to lead 13-2.
- Piedmont scored four in the fourth quarter while holding BSC scoreless.
- Schneider and sophomore David Arnold led BSC with three goals apiece.
- Senior Evan Lalande and freshman Davis Thompson added two goals each.
- The Panthers dominated in ground balls, 42-13, led by freshman Greg Wallace with seven.
- Senior Derek Wass led with five caused turnovers.
- Junior Hank Harris started and played the first half in goal, recording one save; freshman Alex Bates came in for the second half.
- BSC was 17-21 on face-offs, led by sophomore Keenan Hudsmith who was 17-20.
- The Panthers open their home slate this Sunday, Feb. 14, hosting Colorado College at noon on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.