JACKSON, Miss.—The Birmingham-Southern men's lacrosse team won its fifth straight game on Sunday afternoon, defeating Millsaps 14-7 on Harper Davis Field in Jackson, Miss.
The Panthers have achieved their best start in program history, moving to 6-1 overall in their Southern Athletic Association opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC outscored Millsaps 5-0 in the first quarter, with two of those goals coming from junior David Arnold.
- The Panthers opened the second quarter with two goals to pull ahead 7-0 before the Majors scored their first at the 7:23 mark.
- BSC closed the quarter with four straight to pull ahead 11-1 by the half.
- Millsaps held a 3-2 advantage in the third to cut the Panther lead to 13-5, and then outscored BSC 2-1 in the fourth before the Panthers came away with the 14-7 victory.
- Arnold led all players with four goals, while junior McHale Schneider scored three goals and had three assists.
- Schneider's younger brother, freshman Tanner Schneider, also had three assists and one goal, and freshman Nelson Salem added two goals.
- Junior Thomas Grove led with five ground balls, and sophomore Keenan Hudsmith led with 10 face-off wins.
- Junior goalie Hank Harris played the first two quarters, recording five saves.
- Freshman Alex Bates came in for almost 22 minutes and made four saves, and freshman Zachary Mathews played the final eight minutes, recording two saves.
- The Panthers return home this Wednesday, March 16, hosting Transylvania at 5 p.m. on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.