BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern men's lacrosse team dropped a close match to Centre College on Friday night, losing 10-9 on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.
The Panthers fell to 9-2 overall and 2-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, breaking an eight-game win streak. The Colonels moved to 6-3 overall and 2-1 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC came out and scored two quick goals in the first four minutes, both from freshman Tanner Schneider assisted by senior Evan Lalande.
- Centre tied it up by the end of the first quarter, but the Panthers outscored the visitors 4-0 in the second quarter, including three goals from sophomore David Arnold, to lead 6-2 at the half.
- The Colonels opened the third quarter by scoring three straight goals, and outscored BSC 4-2 to cut it to 8-6.
- After the Panthers pulled out to a 9-6 lead with a quick goal to open the fourth quarter, Centre proceeded to score four unanswered, including the game-winner with 1:13 left on the clock.
- Arnold and Schneider had three goals apiece, while Lalande finished with one goal and three assists.
- Junior Thomas Grove also recorded two goals.
- Junior goalie Hank Harris made 14 saves in 60 minutes of work.
- Freshmen Nelson Salem, Greg Wallace, and Davis Thompson all led with four ground balls each.
- Grove was 6-6 on face-offs, and sophomore Keenan Hudsmith was 12-16.
- It was Senior Night for BSC's eight seniors: Gates Gentry, Cassidy Higdon, Nathan Kellis, Lalande, Harris Oates, Ryan Sobb, Headley VanMeter, and Derek Wass.
- BSC wraps up its regular season home schedule this Sunday, facing Sewanee at noon on Battle Field.