ATLANTA, Ga.—Led by freshman Tanner Schneider with four goals, the Birmingham-Southern men's lacrosse team cruised to a 23-8 win against Oglethorpe, Friday afternoon in Atlanta, Ga.
The Panthers moved to 11-3 overall and 4-2 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Stormy Petrels fell to 0-14 overall and 0-6 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored early and often to start the game, going up 9-0 after the first quarter and then leading 14-3 at the half.
- Oglethorpe held a 4-3 advantage in the third quarter, bringing the score to 17-7, but the Panthers opened the fourth with six straight goals to pull ahead 23-7.
- The Petrels scored the final goal of the game with 29 seconds remaining, bringing it to 23-8.
- Schneider led with four goals, followed by his brother, junior McHale Schneider, with three.
- Junior Thomas Grove picked up a game-high 12 ground balls, and junior Justin Session led with four caused turnovers.
- Junior Hank Harris started in goal, but played only 6:41, making one save, before freshman Alex Bates came in for the next 33:47, also recording one save.
- Bates picked up his first career win in the net.
- Freshman Zachary Matthews played the final 19:32 in goal and recorded two saves.
- BSC wraps up regular season action this Sunday, April 10, facing Berry on the road at 3 p.m. EDT in Rome, Ga.