ROME, Ga.—A fourth-quarter rally was not enough for the Birmingham-Southern men's lacrosse team on Sunday as they fell to Berry, 12-10, at Valhalla Field in Rome, Ga., in the regular season finale for both teams.
The Panthers fell to 11-4 overall and 4-3 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Vikings moved to 7-8 overall and also 4-3 in the conference standings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Berry went up 7-0 to start the game, three of those in the first quarter, before the Panthers posted two goals late in the second quarter.
- The Vikings scored once more before halftime to lead 8-2, and then opened the third quarter with three straight goals to pull ahead 11-2 for their largest lead of the game.
- BSC scored once before the end of the third, and then opened the fourth with four straight goals to cut the lead to 11-7 with 10:12 left in the game.
- Berry scored its final goal of the game at the 5:39 mark, a man-up goal to put the home team up 12-7.
- The Panthers scored three goals in a minute-and-a-half span from 4:03 to 2:41, and were able to try for three more shots before time expired, but were unsuccessful.
- Senior Evan Lalande along with junior McHale Schneider and freshman Tanner Schneider led BSC with two goals each, and Lalande also added an assist.
- Sophomore David Arnold posted a goal and two assists.
- Junior Robert Dozier led with a game-high five ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Sophomore Keenan Hudsmith won a game-high 12 face-offs, with BSC winning 14-of-25 face-offs in the game.
- Junior goalie Hank Harris played all 60 minutes in the net and recorded seven saves.
- BSC will play as the fourth seed in the upcoming SAA Championship, which begins next weekend.
- No. 4 BSC will host No. 5 Rhodes in the quarterfinals on Saturday, April 16, on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium; game time is TBA.