BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—After winning in double overtime on Friday night, the Birmingham-Southern men's soccer team kept things exciting again Sunday afternoon, winning 1-0 in overtime against Louisiana College.
The Panthers stayed undefeated at 3-0 on the season, while the Wildcats fell to 0-3. It was the fourth and final game of the annual PUMA Labor Day Classic at Preston Goldfarb Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Although neither team scored at all during regulation, BSC controlled the ball well and had several chances, with LC keeper Nathan Gautreaux recording three saves in both the first and second halves.
- With 39 seconds left in the first 10-minute overtime period, Coyne connected on the game-winner courtesy of an assist from senior Cody Santos.
FACTS OF THE GAME
- BSC held LC to only three shots, none of them on-goal, while taking 22 shots, seven on-goal.
- The Panthers took 15 corner kicks to LC's one.
- Junior Dylan Rose and sophomore Alec Medd led BSC with four shots apiece.
- "We had a lot of chances to make things happen today, but weren't able to capitalize until overtime," Head Coach Preston Goldfarb said. "It's really hard to make things happen when the other team plays with 11 people in the box. I felt like we had trouble making good passes today, but we'll take the win and shift our focus to the next game."
- BSC travels to St. Louis, Mo., next weekend to face Fontbonne on Saturday, Sept. 12, at 11 a.m., and Washington (Mo.) on Sunday, Sept. 13, at 7 p.m.