BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—After both teams scored early in the game, the Birmingham-Southern men's soccer team played to a 1-1 tie against conference rival Rhodes College, Saturday afternoon on Preston Goldfarb Field at Berylson Soccer Park.
The Panthers now stand at 8-1-2 overall and 0-1-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Lynx move to 4-3-3 overall and 0-0-2 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rhodes scored less than four minutes into the game when Austin Ly got his first goal of the year.
- Less than 10 minutes later, senior Cody Santos tied it up with his first goal of the season.
- The teams played the next 97 minutes without scoring another goal, although both squads had several chances, with BSC junior goalkeeper Marvin Castellanos recording six saves and Rhodes keeper Riley Sheen making four.
- Rhodes out-shot BSC 16-9, 7-5 on-goal.
- The Panthers had twice as many corner kicks as the Lynx with eight.
- It was the second tie and fourth overtime game for BSC this season.
- The Panthers are on the road next weekend, traveling to Georgia to face Oglethorpe on Friday at 7:30 p.m. ET and Berry on Sunday at 12 p.m. ET.