NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark.—The fourth-seeded Birmingham-Southern men's tennis team won its first-ever SCAC post-season match today, defeating fifth-seeded Centre, 7-2, in the SCAC Tennis Championship.
The victory moves the Panthers to 13-4 on the season; they move on to face top-seeded Trinity tomorrow at 11 a.m. at the Burns Tennis Park.
Birmingham-Southern was a single match short of sweeping both the singles and doubles contests. Victories in the singles matches were earned by senior John Zukley, junior Sawyer Voges, sophomore Christian Matthews, senior Hanlon Walsh, and sophomore Lance Mengel. The teams of Zukley and senior Reed Pilling, combined with the pairing of Voges and sophomore Stewart Thrash brought home the two doubles points for Birmingham-Southern.
Birmingham-Southern 7, Centre 2
Apr 27, 2012 at North Little Rock, Ark.
1. John Zukley (BSC) def. Ben Newstadt (CEN) 6-0, 6-4
2. Sawyer Voges (BSC) def. Xan Witherington (CEN) 6-3, 6-0
3. Woody Rini (CEN) def. Reed Pilling (BSC) 6-3, 3-6, 10-7
4. Christian Matthews (BSC) def. Trey Williamson (CEN) 6-2, 6-0
5. Hanlon Walsh (BSC) def. Lucas Kelley (CEN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Lance Mengel (BSC) def. Andrew Howard (CEN) 7-5, 6-2
1. John Zukley/Reed Pilling (BSC) def. Ben Newstadt/Lucas Kelley (CEN) 8-1
2. Xan Witherington/Trey Williamson (CEN) def. Christian Matthews/Michael Wilson (BSC) 8-4
3. Sawyer Voges/Stewart Thrash (BSC) def. Woody Rini/Parker Lawson (CEN) 8-2