BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern men's tennis team picked up two conference wins at home this weekend, defeating Oglethorpe on Saturday, 6-3, and Berry on Sunday, 9-0.
The Panthers, ranked 13th in the Atlantic South region, moved to 11-3 overall and 3-0 in the Southern Athletic Association.
BSC VS. OGLETHORPE
- The Stormy Petrels are ranked 11th in the Atlantic South region.
- The Panthers won two of three doubles matches, with senior Patrick Hire and junior Alex Makarenko, who ranked ninth in the region, winning 9-7 at No. 1 against C.J. Antonio and Rhys Richardson, who are ranked seventh in the region.
- At two doubles, sophomore Jacob Weinacker and freshman Anthony Pellegrini won 8-2.
- In singles play, Hire was off first at No. 3 with a 6-2,6-1 win to put BSC up 3-1.
- OU then tied it up at 3-3 as Antonio, ranked 23rd in the nation, defeated Makarenko 7-6,7-5 at No. 1, and sophomore George Chunn lost 6-1,6-4 at No. 4.
- The remaining three singles matches all split sets, and things did not look good for BSC as No. 2 Weinacker was down 4-1, No. 5 Pellegrini was down 4-3, and No. 6 sophomore Lee Thompson was down 4-2.
- All three made a comback, though, with Pellegrini winning 7-5 and Thompson clinching the match with a 7-5 win in the third set.
- Weinacker added the final point by winning the last five games to win 6-4.
BSC VS. BERRY
- The Panthers won all three doubles points, with Hire and Makarenko winning 8-2 at No. 1 and Pellegrini and Weinacker winning by the same score at No. 2.
- Juniors Henry Crosby and David Goodloe won 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.
- Makarenko, Weinacker, Hire, Pellegrini, Thompson, and Rowe all won their singles matches in two sets.
- Thompson now stands at 12-1 in singles play, Weinacker is 12-2, and Hire is 11-3.
- Hire and Makarenko are 11-3 in doubles, while Pellegrini and Weinacker are 11-2.
- BSC travels to face Sewanee next Saturday, April 9, in Sewanee, Tenn., and then Centre next Sunday, April 10, in Danville, Ky.