DANVILLE, Ky.—The Birmingham-Southern men's tennis team defeated Centre today, 8-1, after dropping a match to No. 28 Sewanee yesterday, 7-2.
The Panthers moved to 12-4 overall and 4-1 in the Southern Athletic Association.
BSC VS. SEWANEE
- The Panthers, who are ranked 13th in the Atlantic South region, dropped all three doubles points, including losing to duo Eric Roddy and Jack Gray, who are ranked second in the nation, at the top doubles position, 8-4.
- BSC picked up points at three singles, where senior Patrick Hire won 6-1,6-3, and five singles, where freshman Anthony Pellegrini won 6-4,6-2.
- The loss broke an eight-match win streak by the Panthers.
- The Tigers moved to 12-5 overall and 4-0 in the SAA.
BSC VS. CENTRE
- BSC won all three doubles points, with the duo of Hire and junior Alex Makarenko, who are ranked ninth in the region, winning 8-1 at the top spot.
- Makarenko also won at one singles, 6-0,6-4, as did sophomore Jacob Weinacker, Hire, Pellegrini, and sophomore Lee Thompson.
- The Colonels fell to 5-10 overall and 1-4 in the SAA with the loss.
- The Panthers are back at home next weekend, hosting Hendrix and Rhodes on Saturday and Sunday, both at 9 a.m. at the Ann Dielen Tennis Complex.