BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern men's tennis team took care of business Saturday morning, shutting out Hendrix, 9-0, at the Ann Dielen Tennis Complex.
The Panthers moved to 13-4 overall and 5-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, and are tied for first in the standings with Oglethorpe and No. 34 Sewanee. The Warriors fell to 4-10 overall and 0-6 in the SAA.
- The doubles team of senior Patrick Hire and junior Alex Makarenko shut out Hendrix at the top position, 8-0.
- Sophomore Jacob Weinacker and freshman Anthony Pellegrini won at two doubles, 8-4, and juniors Henry Crosby and David Goodloe won at the third spot, 8-2.
- Hire/Makarenko are now 13-4 on the year, while Weinacker/Pellegrini are 13-3 and Crosby/Goodloe are 8-7.
- Makarenko was victorious at No. 1 singles, winning 6-0,6-0, followed by Weinacker at two, Hire at three, Pellegrini at four, sophomore Lee Thompson at five, and sophomore Charlie Rowe at six.
- Makarenko moved to 12-5 on the season, Weinacker and Hire both moved to 14-3, Pellegrini moved to 12-4, Thompson moved to 14-2, and Rowe moved to 8-1.
- The Panthers, who are ranked 11th in the Atlantic South region, will face Rhodes, ranked 14th in the region, tomorrow at 9 a.m. at the Dielen Tennis Complex.