BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern softball team picked up a big win at home on Thursday as it split with No. 3 DePauw at BSC Softball Park.
BSC won game one 8-0 in six innings and dropped the nightcap, 3-1.
The Panthers moved to 3-1, while the Tigers moved to 1-1.
- After loading the bases in the bottom of the first, and getting runners to second twice in the bottom of the second, BSC finally scored in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI single by junior Maddie Ridgway.
- DePauw got a runner to third in the top of the fifth but she was thrown out at home to keep the Tigers scoreless.
- The Panthers added another run in the bottom of the fifth on a DePauw error.
- BSC exploded for six runs in the bottom of the sixth, beginning with an RBI single from freshman Kendall Hamm.
- Freshman Haley Crumpton hit a two-RBI double, and then the Panthers scored on another DePauw error to push the score to 6-0.
- An RBI single by freshman Savannah Lee made it 7-0, and a walk-off single by sophomore Kaley Eastwood ended the game at 8-0.
- Junior Taylor Harkins threw the complete game, giving up only two hits and one walk with two strikeouts to move to 2-0.
- Junior Amanda Ballew led the Panthers at the plate, going 3-4, while Crumpton and Lee led with two RBI apiece.
- BSC struck first in the second game as well, scoring on an RBI double from junior Torrie Garner in the bottom of the first.
- The Tigers answered in the top of the second with a two-run home run, and added another in the top of the fourth.
- BSC got a runner to third in the bottom of the seventh with one out, but DePauw pitcher Brooke Bandy struck out the final two batters to clinch the victory.
- Crumpton started in the circle for BSC and threw 3.1 innings, giving up four hits with three strikeouts; freshman Leah White came in for the final 3.2 and allowed three hits with two strikeouts.
- Ballew once again led BSC at the plate, going 2-4.
- BSC is on the road for its next four games, beginning with a trip to Demorest, Ga., this Sunday, Feb. 21, to face Piedmont in a 2 p.m. ET doubleheader.