DEMOREST, Ga.—The Birmingham-Southern softball team hit the road for the first time this season as the Panthers traveled to Piedmont College's Walker Athletic Complex in Demorest, Ga., for a Sunday afternoon doubleheader.
BSC won game one 9-1 in six innings and fell in game two by an identical score, but in five innings.
The Panthers moved to 4-2, while the Lions open the season at 1-1.
- A pair of bases loaded singles accounted for all three BSC runs in the first. Sophomore Micaela Beck singled to left field to score junior Maddie Ridgway. Freshman Savannah Lee lined a single to right to plate freshman Haley Crumpton and junior Torrie Garner.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (3-0) struck out the side in the second and five of the first six batters
- A bases-loaded triple off the bat of Ridgway in the third tacked another three runs on to the board for the Panthers.
- An unearned run in the Lion half of the third after a Panther error was the only Piedmont score of the game.
- Freshman Kendall Hamm stole second and home to extend the BSC lead to 7-1 after five innings.
- A Garner double to left in the sixth that scored Crumpton and junior Amanda Ballew capped the BSC offensive effort.
- Junior Taylor Harkins threw the complete game, giving up only five hits and one walk with seven strikeouts.
- Lee and Ridgway led the Panthers at the plate, each going 3-4.
- The Lions scored a pair of runs in the first and second innings off two RBI doubles down the left field line.
- After reaching base off a Piedmont error, Ridgway swiped a pair of bases to be on third base and score after three consecutive walks to cut the Lion lead to 4-1.
- Freshman Peighton Ponder started in the circle for BSC and threw 1.0 innings, giving up four hits and four runs; freshman Leah White came in for the next three innings and allowed three additional hits and one more run. Crumpton came on to pitch the final frame.
- BSC is back on the road heading to LaGrange, Ga., this Tuesday, Feb. 23, to face LaGrange in a 4 p.m. ET doubleheader.