BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern softball team opened Southern Athletic Association play at home on Saturday, defeating Rhodes twice, 7-6 in eight innings, and 6-2 in the second game.
The Panthers moved to 6-2 overall, while the Lynx fell to 6-2. The series will conclude tomorrow with a single game at noon.
- Rhodes led off with a run in the top of the first, and pulled ahead 2-0 in the third with a run scored on a BSC error.
- The Panthers got on the board in the bottom of the third with an RBI single by sophomore Micaela Beck.
- The Lynx pulled ahead 4-1 in the top of the fourth with a home run and RBI single.
- BSC answered in the bottom of the fourth when freshman Savannah Lee led off with a home run, the first of her career, and a two-RBI single by freshman Haley Crumpton tied things up at 4-4.
- Rhodes hit a two-run home run in the top of the seventh, putting the visitors up by two heading into the final half-inning.
- Beck led off with a single in the bottom of the seventh, and went to second on an error before junior Amanda Ballew doubled to put Beck on third.
- After a fly ball for the first out, junior Alex Skene doubled to score both Beck and Ballew and tie the game at 6-6.
- After three quick outs in the top of the eighth, freshman Abby Spencer led off the bottom of the eighth with a single, followed by a Crumpton walk.
- The bases were then loaded when junior Torrie Garner reached on an error, and a sac-fly from Beck allowed Spencer to score and end the game early.
- Junior Taylor Harkins started in the circle and got the win, moving to 4-0 after allowing two hits and two earned runs in 4-and-a-third innings.
- Freshman Leah White and Crumpton also saw time in the circle.
- Crumpton, Beck, and Skene all went 2-3 at the plate with two RBI.
- BSC got off to a quick start with four runs in the bottom of the first, courtesy of a Crumpton RBI double, a Beck RBI single, and a two-run single by Lee.
- The Panthers increased the lead to 6-0 in the fourth when junior Maddie Ridgway scored on a passed ball and Garner recorded another sac-fly.
- Rhodes ruined the shutout in the top of the fifth with a lead-off home run and an RBI single, cutting it to 6-2.
- Rhodes got runners to second in both the sixth and seventh innings, but wasn't able to capitalize, and BSC picked up the win.
- Freshman Peighton Ponder started and got the win to move to 1-1, throwing five innings with three strikeouts. Harkins came in for the final two innings.
- Ridgway and Beck were both 2-3 at the plate, and Lee led with two RBI.
- The Panthers and the Lynx will square off tomorrow in a single game at noon to finish the three-game series.