BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Thanks to 16 hits, including two home runs from freshman Savannah Lee, the Birmingham-Southern softball team completed a three-game sweep of Rhodes College with a 14-6 win, Sunday afternoon at BSC Softball Park.
The Panthers moved to 7-2 overall and 3-0 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Lynx fell to 6-3 overall and 0-3 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rhodes opened the game with a run in the top of the first, but BSC was quick to answer in the bottom half of the frame, scoring on RBI doubles from freshman Haley Crumpton and junior Torrie Garner.
- Lee led off the second with a home run to put the Panthers up 3-1, but the Lynx came back with a two-run homer in the top of the third to tie things up 3-3.
- The home run derby continued in the bottom of the third, as Lee sent another one over the fence to put the Panthers up 5-3, but Rhodes responded yet again in the top of the fourth, this time with a three-run bomb to go up 6-5.
- BSC exploded for six runs in the bottom of the fourth, scoring on RBI singles by freshman Abby Spencer and Crumpton, a three-run double by sophomore Micaela Beck, and a Lee RBI double, putting the Panthers up 11-6.
- With two outs in the bottom of the fifth, Crumpton walked and Garner singled, followed by a Beck double to score both runners and increase the lead to 13-6.
- Junior Amanda Ballew then doubled to left center to plate Beck for the game-winnging walk-off run.
- Freshman Leah White picked up the win in the circle, throwing the last two innings and moving to 2-0.
- Lee and Garner were both 3-3 at the plate, and Beck led with five RBI.
- BSC continues conference action next weekend with a three-game series against Centre. The teams will play a noon doubleheader on Saturday, March 5, and a noon single game on Sunday, March 6.