BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern softball team picked up two more conference wins today, defeating Centre at home, 10-1 in five innings and 8-2.
The Panthers move to 9-2 overall and 5-0 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Colonels fall to 4-5 overall and 2-3 in league play.
- BSC got started quickly, putting up four runs in the bottom of the first courtesy of an RBI double by sophomore Micaela Beck and a two-run homer from freshman Savannah Lee.
- A Lee RBI single in the third put the Panthers up 5-0, and Centre got on the board in the top of the fourth with a single run.
- The Panthers added four more in the bottom of the fourth, thanks to a two-RBI single from junior Amanda Ballew, a run scored on an error, and another Lee RBI single, putting BSC up 10-1.
- BSC held Centre scoreless in the top of the fifth, and the game ended early.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (5-0) threw all five innings, allowing two hits and no earned runs with only one walk and five strikeouts.
- Lee was 3-3 at the plate, and Ballew was 2-2; Lee led with four RBI.
- The Panthers put one run on the board in the bottom of the first in game two with an RBI from junior Torrie Garner.
- In the third, freshman Kendall Hamm scored on a wild pitch, and an RBI single from Beck put BSC up 3-0.
- BSC added four more in the fourth, courtesy of a two-run double by junior Maddie Ridgway, an RBI double by freshman Abby Spencer, and an RBI double by sophomore Emily Turner.
- The Colonels got on the board in the sixth, scoring two runs, and the Panthers added one more in the bottom of the sixth on a Turner sac-fly.
- Freshman Leah White started in the circle and threw two innings, but freshman Haley Crumpton came in for the next four innings and got the win, moving to 1-1 after striking out six batters.
- Ridgway and Spencer both went 2-2 at the plate, and Ridgway and Turner led with two RBI each.
- The teams wrap up the conference series with a single game tomorrow at noon.