Mar 17, 2016
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The No. 22 Birmingham-Southern softball team won two games at home Thursday evening, defeating in-state rival Huntingdon 3-0 and 7-2 at BSC Softball Park.
The Panthers moved to 16-4, while the Hawks fell to 9-9.
- BSC held Huntingdon scoreless behind a strong complete-game pitching performance from junior Taylor Harkins (8-1), who gave up only three hits while striking out 12 batters with no walks.
- The Panthers scored their first two runs in the bottom of the second inning on an RBI single by junior Alex Skene that also allowed a run to score on a throwing error from left field.
- BSC's third and final run came in the fourth when freshman Abby Spencer drew a walk with the bases loaded.
- BSC scored a run in the third, capitalizing on a Hawk error on a failed pickoff at third allowing Skene to come home.
- Huntingdon took their first and only lead of the game in the top of the fourth, scoring on an RBI double and a ground-out.
- Junior Maddie Ridgway recorded a sac-fly in the fifth to tie things up 2-2, and the Panthers pulled ahead in the sixth, scoring the game-winning run on a bases-loaded walk.
- BSC added four more in the same inning, scoring two runs on a single by freshman Kendall Hamm, one run on a Spencer RBI single, and the final run on another Ridgway sac-fly.
- Freshman Peighton Ponder (4-2) picked up the win in the circle, throwing the final four scoreless innings and giving up two hits with four strikeouts.
- BSC resumes Southern Athletic Association action next week, traveling to Jackson, Miss., during Spring Break to face Millsaps.
- The teams will play a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 22, at noon, and a single game on Wednesday, March 23, at noon.