JACKSON, Miss.—The No. 22 Birmingham-Southern softball team remained unbeaten in conference play on Tuesday afternoon with a pair of victories against Millsaps on the road, winning 8-0 and 9-2 in Jackson, Miss.
The Panthers moved to 18-4 overall and 8-0 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Majors fell to 13-12 overall and 2-3 in conference play.
- BSC led 3-0 after the first two innings, and then added five more in the top of the seventh, thanks in large part to a grand slam by freshman Haley Crumpton.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (9-1) threw the complete-game shutout, giving up five hits with four strikeouts.
- Crumpton was 2-of-3 at the plate with four RBI, and sophomore Micaela Beck was 2-of-4.
- The Panthers scored early and often in game two, putting up three runs in the first and second innings.
- BSC pulled ahead 7-0 in the fifth courtesy of a Beck home run before Millsaps scored its first runs of the day in the bottom of the fifth, cutting it to 7-2.
- The Panthers would score twice more, once in the sixth and once in the seventh.
- Beck led at the plate, going 3-of-4 with three RBI; freshman Elizabeth Sims went 2-of-2.
- Freshman Peighton Ponder (5-3) picked up the win in the circle, starting and throwing three innings and giving up two hits with three strikeouts.
- Freshman Leah White and Crumpton also saw action, with Crumpton striking out four of the last eight Millsaps batters.
- The teams wrap up the series tomorrow with a single game at noon.