ROME, Ga.—The No. 17 Birmingham-Southern softball team split with No. 8 Berry on Friday, winning game one 4-3 before falling 4-0 in game two on Ford Field in Rome, Ga.
The Panthers moved to 19-6 overall and 9-2 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Vikings moved to 21-5 overall and 7-1 in the SAA.
- The Panthers scored all four of their runs in the first two innings, including two RBI from freshman Savannah Lee.
- Berry cut it to 4-1 in the fourth and then 4-3 in the sixth, and BSC held the Vikings scoreless in the seventh to clinch the victory.
- The Panthers recorded 11 total hits, with freshman Abby Spencer going 2-of-3 and freshman Haley Crumpton and junior Amanda Ballew going 2-of-4.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (10-2) picked up the win after throwing six innings and giving up five hits and two earned runs with seven strikeouts.
- Both teams were scoreless through the first five-and-a-half innings, before the Vikings put up all four of their runs in the bottom of the sixth.
- Berry held BSC to only three hits, with three different Panthers getting one hit each.
- Crumpton (2-2) took the loss in the circle after throwing 5.2 innings and allowing five hits and four earned runs with seven strikeouts.
- The teams will face off again tomorrow in the rubber match of the three-game series at 12 p.m. EDT.