ROME, Ga.—The No. 17 Birmingham-Southern softball team won the rubber match of the conference series against No. 8 Berry today, 6-3 on Ford Field in Rome, Ga.
The Panthers moved to 20-6 overall and 10-2 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Vikings fell to 21-6 overall and 7-2 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored the first runs of the game in the top of the third, going up 2-0, and would never trail.
- The Panthers put up another run in the fourth before Berry scored a single run in the bottom of the fourth and again in the sixth to cut it to 3-2.
- BSC expanded the lead to 6-2 in the sixth, and the Vikings scored their final run of the game in the bottom of the seventh before the game ended with a diving catch by freshman shortstop Kendall Hamm.
- Junior Maddie Ridgway led the Panthers at the plate going 3-of-4, and junior Alex Skene was 2-of-2.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (11-2) threw the complete game, allowing nine hits and one earned run with four strikeouts.
- The Panthers return home on Tuesday, March 29, to host Louisiana College in a 2 p.m. doubleheader.