SEWANEE, Tenn.—After pulling ahead 15-0 in the first four innings, the No. 16 Birmingham-Southern softball team defeated Sewanee, 16-4, Saturday afternoon in Sewanee, Tenn.
The Panthers moved to 23-6 overall and 11-2 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Tigers fell to 5-12 overall and 0-10 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored two runs in the first and five in the second, with three of the seven runs coming off two home runs from freshman Savannah Lee.
- The Panthers added another run in the third, and then seven in the fourth, pulling ahead 15-0.
- Sewanee scored twice in the bottom of the fourth before BSC added its final run in the top of the fifth, pulling ahead 16-2 before the Tigers were able to score twice in the bottom of the fifth before the game ended early.
- Four Panthers had two hits apiece, with freshman Haley Crumpton leading with four RBI.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (13-2) started in the circle and threw 3.2 innings, giving up one hit, one walk, and no runs with four strikeouts; freshman Leah White came in for the final 1.1 innings.
- The teams will wrap up the three-game series tomorrow with a noon doubleheader.