BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—With an 11-3 six-inning win over Hendrix on Sunday afternoon, the No. 6 Birmingham-Southern softball team clinched a share of the regular season Southern Athletic Association championship, as well as the No. 1 seed in next weekend's tournament.
The Panthers moved to 34-6 overall and 16-2 to finish out the regular season, and have won 15 straight games. The Warriors fell to 19-16 overall and 8-10 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hendrix led off the game with a run in the first, but BSC answered quickly with three runs in the bottom of the first courtesy of a two-RBI double by freshman Savannah Lee and an RBI double by sophomore Micaela Beck.
- The Panthers added three more in the third, scoring on RBIs by freshmen Kendall Hamm and Catherine Coffey and junior Maddie Ridgway.
- The Warriors cut it to 6-3 in the fourth, and had the game-tying run at the plate, but were unable to score again.
- An RBI double from junior Torrie Garner in the bottom of the fourth put BSC up 7-3, and another Lee RBI double in the bottom of the sixth extended the lead to 8-3.
- In the bottom of the eighth, after Lee's RBI, BSC had runners on the corners and no outs when Garner stepped up and hit her third home run of the year to end the game early.
- Lee went 4-of-4 at the plate, with all four hits being doubles, and recorded three RBI.
- Garner was 2-of-3 with four RBI.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (19-2) started and threw 3.2 innings, giving up seven hits and two earned runs with three strikeouts.
- Freshman Haley Crumpton came in for the final 2.1 innings and allowed two hits with one strikeout.
- BSC's regular season title today marks four championships won by the Panthers this weekend: baseball, women's lacrosse, men's tennis, and softball.
- BSC will travel to Memphis, Tenn., next weekend for the 2016 SAA Championship, playing as the top seed.
- The tournament bracket will be released shortly by the conference office.