COLLIERVILLE, Tenn.—Berry scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth to come from behind and defeat the No. 6 Birmingham-Southern softball team to win the 2016 Southern Athletic Association Championship, Sunday afternoon.
The Panthers fell to 36-8, while the Vikings moved to 36-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC, playing as the visiting team, scored a run in the second on an RBI single by freshman Abby Spencer, and then another in the third on an RBI double by sophomore Micaela Beck.
- Berry cut it to 2-1 in the bottom of the third on an RBI single from Brittany Ferrell, and the Panthers held the lead until the bottom of the sixth.
- With two outs on the board, an RBI single by Kenzie Fleming tied things up, 2-2, and an RBI double by Elizabeth Frederici put the Vikings up 4-2.
- In the top of the seventh, BSC got runners to second and third with one out, but Berry retired the last two batters to preserve the victory and win the title.
- BSC out-hit Berry, 7-5, led by Spencer going 2-of-3 and freshman Haley Crumpton who was 2-of-4.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (19-3) took the loss in the circle, throwing the complete game and allowing five hits and four earned runs with three strikeouts.
- The Panthers will learn if they receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Regional on Monday, May 9.