MOUNT BERRY, Ga.—After defeating Piedmont today, 6-4, the No. 7 Birmingham-Southern softball team fell to No. 4 Berry, 6-5 in 10 innings, to be eliminated from the NCAA Championship Regional.
The Panthers end the season at 37-10, breaking the program record for wins in a single season. Berry moved to 38-7 and will need to defeat No. 9 Emory twice tomorrow to win the regional tournament and advance to the super regional round.
BSC VS. PIEDMONT
- BSC scored in each of the first three innings to pull ahead 4-0, including capitalizing on three Lion errors in the second.
- Piedmont cut it to 4-2 in the bottom of the fourth, and then 4-3 in the fifth.
- The Panthers scored another run in the top of the sixth, and Piedmont again cut it to a one-run game in the bottom of the sixth.
- Sophomore Micaela Beck sent the ball over the left field fence in the top of the seventh to put BSC up 6-4, and BSC held Piedmont scoreless in the bottom of the seventh to preserve the win.
- Beck went 2-of-4 at the plate, and freshman Catherine Coffey was 2-of-3.
- Junior Taylor Harkins (20-4) got the win after starting in the circle and throwing 4.2 innings, giving up six hits and two earned runs with no walks and two strikeouts.
- Freshman Haley Crumpton came in for the final 2.1 innings and picked up her second save of the year, giving up three hits and two earned runs with no walks and three strikeouts.
BSC VS. BERRY
- The score was tied 2-2 after three full innings, and Berry pulled ahead for the first time with two runs in the bottom of the fifth.
- The Panthers did not stay down for long, adding three runs in the top of the sixth on an RBI triple by Crumpton, a run scored on a wild pitch, and an RBI single by junior Alex Skene, pulling ahead 5-4.
- With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Berry scored on a wild pitch to tie things up and send the game to extra innings.
- The teams played through to the bottom of the 10th when the Vikings won on a walk-off RBI single by Kenzie Fleming.
- Seven different Panthers recorded single hits in the game; Berry out-hit BSC 10-7.
- Crumpton started and pitched the first four innings, giving up four hits and one earned run with one strikeout.
- Harkins fell to 20-5 after throwing the final 5.1 innings and giving up six hits and three earned runs with one walk and four strikeouts.