BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern swimming and diving teams kept hold of their place at the top of the team standings after another strong showing on Saturday at the 2014 SAA Championship, held at the Birmingham CrossPlex.
The Panthers won eight more individual crowns today, while 12 school records and five conference records were broken; three swimmers notched NCAA cut times.
BSC remains atop the team standings on both the men's and women's sides. The women have a score of 571, followed by Rhodes with 504.50 and Centre with 491.50. The men stand at 579, followed by Centre with 566 and Sewanee with 446. In the combined team scoring, BSC leads with 1,150, followed by Centre with 1,057.50 and Sewanee with 882.
Senior Cody Spradlin repeated as the one-meter diving champion today, and sophomore Hannah Busk won the 100-yard butterfly today with a school- and conference-record time of 57.54, which was also a NCAA national cut time.
The men's and women's 200-yard medley relay teams both also won conference titles today. The women's team, consisting of Busk and sophomores Peyton Langley, Lauren Kinsey, and Kristen Stempak, had a time of 1:48.16, and the men's team, made up of freshman Scott Taylor, sophomore Duncan Bonney, sophomore Saul Hack, and freshman Ben Hodde, recorded a time of 1:33.47.
Kinsey also won the 400-yard IM with a school-record time of 4:37.71, and sophomore Drew Priede won the men's 200-yard freestyle in 1:41.45. Bonney was also the 100-yard breaststroke champion with a school- and conference-record NCAA cut time of 55.20.
The men's 800-yard free relay team also won the conference title today with a time of 6:50.61, which was a school and conference record and yet another NCAA cut time for the Panthers. The team consisted of Bonney, Priede, sophomore Wil Cushman, and junior David Lutomski.
Other highlights today included:
- Sophomore Molly Waddell second in women's 200-yard freestyle with school-record time of 1:54.74
- Langley second in women's 100-yard breaststroke with school-record time of 1:07.27
- Taylor second in men's 100-yard backstroke with school-record time of 52.65
- Women's 800-yard free relay was third with school-record time of 7:56.86 (Kinsey, Waddell, Stempak, Ames)
- Freshman Jordan Ames sixth and sophomore Samantha Norman seventh in women's 400-yard IM
- Sophomore Matt Gonzalez fifth and freshman Sam Cook sixth in men's 400-yard IM
- Lutomski fourth and Hack fifth in men's 100-yard butterfly
- Cushman third in men's 200-yard freestyle
- Freshman Marilyn Rowell fifth in 100-yard breaststroke
- Freshman Samantha Laflin fifth in women's 100-yard backstroke
Competition continues tomorrow for the third and final day, with preliminaries at 9 a.m. and finals at 5 p.m. at the CrossPlex.