BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Senior Drew Priede picked up his second straight Men's Swimmer of the Year honor Saturday night as the Birmingham-Southern men's swimming and diving team repeated as the Southern Athletic Association champion.
BSC scored 933 points, over 200 points ahead of second-place Berry with 720. The BSC women were edged out by Rhodes by just three points, 914-911. The Lynx also won the 2015 championship.
The Panther men were in first place after all four rounds of the championship. Today, BSC won gold, silver, and bronze in the 1650-yard freestyle, with freshman Justin Staab finishing first and senior Wil Cushman finishing second, both with NCAA "B" cut times, and junior Sam Cook placing third.
On the women's side today, senior Kristen Stempak won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 52.59, and the Panthers won the 400-yard freestyle relay. The winning relay team consisted of freshman Chelsea Chamblee, senior Molly Waddell, freshman Heather Heacock, and Stempak, and they won in an SAA record time of 3:31.94.
Overall, BSC won 11 individual titles, led by Stempak with six gold medals. BSC's first-place finishes over the four-day meet were as follows:
- Women 200-yard freestyle relay (Chelsea Chamblee, Heather Heacock, Molly Waddell, Kristen Stempak) - 1:36.28 (SAA Record)
- Women 400-yard freestyle relay (Chelsea Chamblee, Molly Waddell, Heather Heacock, Kristen Stempak) - 3:31.94 (SAA Record)
- Women 800-yard freestyle relay (Kristen Stempak, Heather Heacock, Sarah Catherine Murphy, Molly Waddell) - 7:46.89
- Drew Priede - 200-yard freestyle - 1:39.41 (SAA Record)
- Drew Priede - 500-yard freestyle - 4:28.77 (SAA Record)
- Kristen Stempak - 50-yard freestyle - 24.09 (SAA Record)
- Kristen Stempak - 100-yard freestyle - 52.59
- Kristen Stempak - 200-yard freestyle - 1:54.96
- Luke Huffstutler - 100-yard butterfly - 50.57
- Justin Staab - 1650-yard freestyle - 16:08.63 (NCAA "B")
- Justin Staab - 200-yard butterfly - 1:53.16 (NCAA "B")