BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Led by junior Jasmynn Batts with 17 points, the Birmingham-Southern women's basketball team opened a four-game home stand Friday evening with a 60-49 victory over Berry College in Bill Battle Coliseum.
The Panthers moved to 19-2 overall and 9-2 in the Southern Athletic Association; the 19 wins ties the record for most wins in a season, dating back to the inaugural 2000-01 season when BSC went 19-9. The Vikings fell to 8-14 overall and 2-9 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded baskets to open the game, and Berry led 7-5 and 9-8 before the Panthers closed out the period on a 10-2 run.
- BSC out-scored Berry 14-10 in the second period to lead 32-21 at the half.
- The Vikings cut the lead back to five, 34-29, mid-way through the third period, but the Panthers closed out the quarter on a 8-3 run to pull ahead 42-31.
- Both teams scored 18 points in the fourth quarter, with BSC achieving its largest lead of the game, 15, twice.
- Batts led all players with 17 points, shooting 6-11 from the field, and she also led with four assists.
- Junior Laura Van Peursem led off the bench with 10 rebounds.
- BSC faces Oglethorpe, one of its two losses on the season, Sunday at 1 p.m. in Bill Battle Coliseum.