BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Achieving the first 20-win season in program history, the Birmingham-Southern women's basketball team defeated Oglethorpe, 65-47, Sunday afternoon in Bill Battle Coliseum.
The Panthers moved to 20-2 overall, the most wins in the program's 16-year history, and 10-2 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Stormy Petrels fell to 11-12 overall and 5-7 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC opened the game by going up 7-0 and would never trail.
- The Panthers led 19-10 at the end of the first quarter, and scored six straight to open the second and pull out to a 25-10 lead.
- BSC led 37-17 at the half and maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way, going up by as much as 26 before winning by 18.
- Senior Yorisha Bryant led the Panthers with 14 points on 5-7 shooting, and she also pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds for her 10th double-double of the year.
- Junior Jameice Holmes added 11 points, and senior Ashley Curry led with seven assists.
- The Panthers lead the SAA standings at 10-2, and will have the chance to clinch hosting privileges for the 2016 SAA Championship, Feb. 26-28, next weekend.
- OU is one of BSC's two losses, having defeated the Panthers 58-56 in Atlanta on Jan. 10.
- The Panthers host Rhodes next Friday, Feb. 19, at 6 p.m. and then Hendrix next Sunday, Feb. 21, at 1 p.m. Sunday will be Senior Day and the final game of the regular season.