BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern women's basketball team dropped its first home game of the season on Sunday in the regular season finale, losing to Hendrix, 55-51, in Bill Battle Coliseum.
The Panthers fell to 21-3 overall and 11-3 in the SAA, and will share the regular season title with Millsaps, who also went 11-3. The Warriors moved to 19-6 overall and 10-4 in league action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams started out ice cold, with the first basket not coming until the 6:07 mark of the first period.
- The teams traded baskets and leads throughout the first period, with Hendrix leading 12-10 at the end of the quarter.
- Hendrix led for most of the second quarter, and went up 24-19 by halftime.
- The Warriors increased their lead to eight in the third period, 33-25, and the Panthers responded with a 9-1 run to tie things up at 34-34 at the 3:20 mark.
- Hendrix pulled back ahead after that, however, and led 42-36 heading into the fourth.
- BSC cut it to three once in the fourth period, but was unable to catch up to the Warriors.
- It was Senior Day for BSC, with Yorisha Bryant, Ashley Curry, Jade Gibbs, Halle Knowles, and Karschella Toney being honored in a pregame ceremony.
- Bryant led the Panthers with 13 points and 10 rebounds for her 12th double-double of the year.
- Curry also added 12 points.
- BSC shot 32.3 percent (21-65) from the field, its second-lowest percentage of the season.
- The Panthers are set to host the 2016 SAA Championship next weekend as the top seed, facing eighth-seeded Berry on Friday, Feb. 26, at 1 p.m. in Bill Battle Coliseum in the quarterfinals.