MARYVILLE, Tenn.—The Birmingham-Southern women's basketball team made its first post-season appearance Friday evening and defeated Lynchburg College, 56-50, in the first round of the 2016 NCAA Championship, hosted by Maryville College in Maryville, Tenn.
The Panthers move to 25-3 on the year, while the Hornets end their season at 24-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the exception of two ties, BSC led for the entire game, although Lynchburg stayed close nearly the whole time.
- The Panthers led 13-10 at the end of the first period and 19-17 at the half.
- BSC opened the third period with a 14-2 run, going up 33-19 by the 5:13 mark, and led 43-30 heading into the final quarter.
- The Panthers led by as much as 16 in the fourth period before the Hornets fought back to cut it to six by the final buzzer.
- This is BSC's first NCAA post-season appearance in the 16-year history of the program.
- Junior Jasmynn Batts led all players with 21 points, shooting 7-12 from the field.
- Senior Yorisha Bryant posted her 13th double-double of the season with 16 points on 8-15 shooting and 13 rebounds; she also led with four blocks.
- Senior Halle Knowles led with five assists and four steals.
- BSC faces No. 12 Maryville tomorrow in the round of 32 at 6 p.m. EST; the Scots knocked off No. 19 Mary Washington in the later game this evening, 67-56.