BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team opened the season Saturday afternoon with an exciting 14-13 win against Centre on Battle Field at General Charles Krulak Stadium.
The Panthers moved to 1-0, while the Colonels fell to 0-1. It was BSC's first-ever win against Centre after dropping six straight matches to the Colonels.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC led 4-3 after the first 10 minutes of play, but Centre exploded for six straight goals to pull ahead 9-4 by the half.
- The Panthers responded to opend the second half with five straight goals, including three from senior Amanda Amerson, to tie it up 9-9 by the 20:08 mark.
- Centre's offensive kept firing as well, scoring three straight to put the Colonels back up 12-9 with 9:50 left in the game.
- BSC responded in kind, scoring three straight goals, two by Amerson, to tie it up again 12-12 with 5:31 to play.
- The Colonels pulled back ahead by one, 13-12, at the 5:03 mark, but the Panthers tied it up once again with a man-down goal from freshman Alyssa Gentyzel, assisted by Amerson, at the 4:26 mark.
- Junior Hannah Hudson found the back of the net for the game-winner at the 1:03 mark, off another Amerson assist.
- Amerson led all players with five goals and five assists, followed by Gentyzel with two goals and two assists, sophomore Ashley Shepherd with two goals and one assist, and freshman Katie Gleeson with two goals.
- Hudson, sophomore Brianna Studer, and freshman Annie Scierka all posted one goal each.
- Sophomore Chloe Massoni played the entire game in the net for BSC, recording 15 saves.
- BSC travels to face Piedmont this Wednesday, Feb. 24, in Demorest, Ga., at 4 p.m. EST.