BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Led by freshman Alyssa Gentyzel with four goals, the Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team defeated Alma College, 11-5, Thursday evening on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.
The Panthers moved to 4-1, while the Scots fell to 1-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a slow start with neither team scoring in the first 10 minutes, BSC scored five straight goals in a 10-minute span, including two by sophomore Ashley Shepherd.
- The teams traded goals to close out the half with the Panthers leading 8-3.
- BSC opened the second half with two goals to pull up 10-3 for the largest lead of the game at the 19:35 mark.
- Alma would score twice more, with the Panthers scoring once in between, to finish out the game.
- Alma is coached by BSC women's lacrosse alum Ashley Johnson, who was part of the Panthers' first four-year class, graduating in 2011.
- Gentyzel and Alma's Ashton Street led the way with four goals apiece.
- Shepherd recorded three goals and freshman Katie Gleeson added two.
- Senior Shana O'Brien and sophomore Natalie Daniel led with four ground balls each, and Gleeson led with six draw controls.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Chloe Massoni recorded nine saves and faced 14 shots in 60 minutes of play.
- BSC travels to Conway, Ark., this Saturday, March 5, to face conference rival Hendrix at 11 a.m. CST.