BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Led by sophomore Ashley Shepherd with six goals, the Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team defeated Beloit College, 23-6, Thursday evening on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.
The Panthers moved to 7-1 on the year with their fifth straight win, while the Buccaneers fell to 1-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored the first seven goals of the game, all within the first 12 minutes, including two by junior Caitlin Dryer.
- Beloit's Libby Storrick responded and scored five straight goals for the Buccaneers, cutting it to 7-5 at the 10:30 mark of the first half.
- The Panthers kept scoring after that, however, scoring three times before halftime and then opening the second half with seven straight goals to pull ahead 17-5.
- Beloit scored its final goal at the 15:35 mark of the second half when Tate Michelle connected on a free position shot.
- BSC closed out the game with six straight goals.
- For most of the second half, the teams played in torrential rain after a downpour started about two minutes into the half.
- Shepherd led all players with six goals, followed by senior Amanda Amerson with four goals and four assists.
- Sophomore Natalie Daniel added three goals.
- Freshman Alyssa Gentyzel led with seven draw controls, four ground balls, and three caused turnovers.
- The Panthers will face Clarkson University next Tuesday, March 15, at 5 p.m. CT in Memphis, Tenn.