BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Led by freshman Annie Scierka with six goals, the Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team defeated Oglethorpe, 22-13, Saturday afternoon on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.
The Panthers moved to 8-4 overall and 3-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, and the Stormy Petrels fell to 3-8 overall and 0-3 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC scored the first goal of the game within the first minute, a free position shot by junior Hannah Hudson, before OU responded with two straight goals to pull ahead for its only lead of the game.
- The Panthers then used a 7-1 run to go up 8-3, but the Petrels came back to cut it to 9-7 by the end of the first half.
- The BSC offense came out strong in the second half, using an 8-1 run to pull out to a 17-8 lead by the 13:13 mark.
- Six minutes later the Panthers doubled OU's score at 20-10, but the Petrels responded with three straight before BSC finished the game with two more goals before time expired.
- Scierka led all players with six goals, followed by senior Amanda Amerson, sophomores Natalie Daniel and Ashley Shepherd, and freshman Katie Gleeson with three goals apiece.
- Amerson and junior Hannah Hudson also had three assists each, and Gleeson recorded two.
- Scierka and Amerson also led with four ground balls apiece, and Gleeson and senior Shana O'Brien led with six draw controls.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Chloe Massoni recorded seven saves in 57 minutes of play; the Panthers played the first three minutes with an empty net, in which time OU scored its first two goals of the game.
- The Panthers are at home again next Saturday, April 2, hosting Berry College at 1 p.m.