BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team out-scored Berry 11-3 in the second half to win 18-10, Saturday afternoon on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.
The Panthers moved to 9-4 overall and 4-1 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Vikings fell to 7-5 overall and 1-3 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Ashley Shepherd scored the first of her eight goals for BSC just 1:20 into the game, and the Panthers pulled out to a 3-0 lead in the first four minutes.
- Berry came back to tie it up after that, 3-3, and the teams traded goals for the rest of the half, playing to a 7-7 tie at the halftime break.
- The Panthers opened the second half by scoring two goals, after which the Vikings scored to cut it to 9-8.
- BSC then scored seven straight goals, including four from Shepherd, to pull ahead 16-8 by the 5:21 mark.
- Each team scored twice in the last four minutes of the game for a final score of 18-10 in favor of the home team.
- Shepherd led all players with eight goals, followed by senior Amanda Amerson with two goals and two assists.
- Amerson recently became BSC's all-time leading scorer, as well as the all-time leader in assists and points.
- Freshman Katie Gleeson recorded two goals and an assist, and freshmen Alyssa Gentyzel and Annie Scierka added two goals as well.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Chloe Massoni played all 60 minutes and recorded 10 saves.
- Gleeson led with four ground balls and seven draw controls.
- The Panthers are at home this Wednesday, April 6, hosting in-state rival Huntingdon at 6 p.m.